Friday, January 28, 2011

Safety and Your Preschooler

A cousin asked me recently about the safety at Disneyland in regards to a preschooler. It's not like walking into a Chuck E. Cheese and having your hand stamped with the same number they stamp your childs hand and require that they match before you exit. In fact, there is nothing even like it.

I recommend that before you leave on vacation you pack an updated portrait of your child to carry with you at all times. Ainsley has her own state issued I.D. card. Each year I take her in and have her picture updated on it. There is a fee for that, but it makes me feel better. The I.D. goes in my wallet and does not get taken out unless I need it.

While I have never lost my daughter at Disneyland I have been right next to a woman who suddenly realized her daughter was gone. The cast members in the park immediately jumped into action and began to help her search. They found the child within minutes. I was amazed and relieved at the same time. Other parents have attached tags to their children's clothing with cell phone numbers and parents names in case they should lose their child.

Any missing children (up to age 10) who are not immediatley reunited with their parents are taken to Children's Services by First Aid. Cast members register the childs name in the log book and provide  movies and books as entertainment. Each cast member is trained to follow a very specific procedure in this regard.

Here is a checklist for you:
  • Pack and Carry a current picture of your child
  • Use a stroller to prevent them from wandering off
  • Attach contact information to your child's clothing
  • Locate Children's Service when you arrive so you know where it is if needed
  • Establish a set of safety rules with your children so they will not what to do if they get lost
  • Teach your child how to recognize a cast member and how to ask for help
  • Make sure you or your spouse knows where your child is at all times.
I am not saying that if you follow all of these steps you won't lose your child. However, they will help. If you have any questions, please ask. I'm not an expert, but I will do my best to give you the best answer possible.
My prayer is that I will never lose my daughter while on vacation in Disneyland, but if I should it is comforting to know that cast members will do all they can to help.

Until Next time,
Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment